Back pain and sciatica are really common, and statistics shows that 8 out of 10 Americans deal with this ailment. Most people usually take over-the-counter prescription drugs to relieve their condition.
The first thing you should focus on is the underlying problem.
Lower back pain is usually caused a few days or even weeks before you notice the first symptoms. Sufferers can’t recognize the symptoms at the beginning.
Lower back pain may be caused by fatigue, alcohol, sex or distractions while doing a physical activity. However, sports injuries and accidents are the most common causes of chronic back pain.
Experts say lower back pain is often caused by physical inactivity, obesity and poor posture. The pain disappears within a month, but you can speed up the healing process.
Relax your body and mind and use ice to ‘cool’ the sore area. Acupuncture and chiropractic treatments work, too. You can also use Boswellia, turmeric, ginger and other anti-inflammatory foods, herbs and spices.
Your brain focuses on any pain that lasts more than two minutes. Address your emotions to help the body heal itself.
Sciatic nerve pain is a common health problem that is caused by a pinched sciatic nerve. Stretching can be of great help in this case.
You can try some nice stretches, such as, Pigeon pose, Piriformis stretch, Seated hip stretch, and Self-trigger point therapy upgraded with a tennis ball or foam roller.
The tennis ball treatment has become quite a trend these days. People dealing with sciatica swear in its efficacy.
According to Health Ambition, the tennis ball therapy combines the benefits of massage, acupressure and reflexology. The tiny ball relieves muscle tension and soothes sore muscles.
If you are treating sciatic pain, the ball will target the piriformis muscle which is located really close to the sciatic nerve.
Your body is heavy enough to ease the pinpointing of some muscles. Pressing sore muscles helps them relax and releases tension. You may feel pain at the beginning, but the process will give you great results.
It’s pretty much the same feeling you get when you are given a shoulder massage. You ‘cry’ at first, but then it feels really good. Tennis ball therapies are free and you don’t even have to leave your home.
Complete guidelines of Body Pain has all the details regarding the instructions:
- Lie on a tennis ball and locate the sore spot in your glutes
- Bring the ball at that spot
- Relax and move the ball around with your body
The ball will press and affect trigger points in the piriformis muscle, reducing any tension and rigidity. This method also improves mobility and blood circulation.
Press that particular spot against the ball for 30-60 seconds or until your pain starts fading. Target another sore spot. You should do this exercise for 5-10 minutes.
Relieve sciatica with a few efficient alternative treatments:
- Acupuncture relieves symptoms
- Yoga soothes pain and symptoms
- Trigger point massage is based on applying firm pressure to points located in the piriformis, lower back and glutes
- Chiropractic care should be used at least three times a week
- Use anti-inflammatory oils and linings to relieve pain in sore areas
- Pilates lowers the risk of suffering an injury, relieves pain and improves balance.
Make sure your body posture is correct in order to avoid further complications and pain. Don’t sit for longer than an hour. It’s a rule.
Prevent back pain
Prevention is the best medicine. We give you a few tips to try:
- Strengthen the muscles surrounding your spine, and improve your flexibility and balance; workout at least twice a week and consider doing yoga and foundation training exercises
- Pay attention to your body posture and don’t sit for too long. If you stand a lot, make sure you split your total body weight on both legs and never bend over
- Grounding reduces inflammation and relieves pain
- Drink a lot of water
- Boost your vitamin D and K2 intake
- Enjoy a good night’s sleep, and always sleep on your side; don’t forget to stretch before you go to bed
- Mind-body techniques reduce stress and target psychological factors
- K-Laser treatment also reduces inflammation, relieves pain and accelerates the healing process
- Quit smoking; cigarette smoke lowers blood flow to the lower portion of your spine and causes degeneration of the spinal disks.
Sciatica may turn into a really scary condition, and most people aren’t even aware of it. Some say it’s just a pain that goes away within a few days, but truth is, sciatica is more than a pain in your butt (back and legs, too). Sometimes it causes unbearable pain that stops you from completing your daily tasks.
Pain in general requires special attention, especially if you struggle with an aching body part all the time. Getting an instant relief seems great, but you have to determine the underlying cause of your problem. Grab your tennis ball, and treat yourself.